jump to navigation

Images of Colt Firearms Available in Flickr Thursday, April 22, 2010

Posted by capittsley in digital collections, updates.
Tags:
add a comment

The digitization of PG460, the Colt’s Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company collection is now complete. The long awaited images of the Colt firearms are up and available for viewing at our Flickr site and will soon be added to our Digital Collection in CONTENTdm. The new images include photographs of early Colt rifles and revolvers manufactured in Paterson, New Jersey under the name of  Patent Arms Manufacturing Company. Images included are several examples of the Colt Holster Model Paterson Revolver No. 5 also known as the Colt Texas Paterson and a Model 1839 Carbine.

The Colt’s Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company was founded in 1847 in Hartford, Connecticut. Colt’s armory manufactured a wide range of revolvers, pistols, rifles and machine guns. Colt’s is most well known for its revolvers, and manufactured both percussion and metallic cartridge models. There are several examples of the Walker Model revolvers, the Model 1860 Army, and the New Police Model also known as the “Cop and Thug”.

Gatling guns, Browning machine guns, and WWII autocannons round out the collection. Here we have photos of Gatling gun cavalry carts, an M1921 Browning machine gun mounted on a Harley Davidson and 37mm endless belt magazines. Throughout the collection there are examples of one of a kind experimental models like John Pearson’s first prototype made for Samuel Colt.

Many of the firearms in the collection reside in the Colt Firearms Collection at the Museum of Connecticut History. When an accession number is available, it is noted in the description.

The Latest CONNector Newsletter now available! Saturday, April 10, 2010

Posted by cslibweb in updates.
add a comment

The January/April 2010 issue of the CONNector is now available online
at: http://www.cslib.org/connector/10connector01_04.pdf
The latest issue of the Connecticut State Library’s
newsletter includes:
–      “When Less Is Really Less”, a report from the State Librarian
–      A new exhibit of presidential signatures on display in Memorial Hall
–      Coverage of the “Connecticut at War” Conference
–      Putting Connecticut’s WPA Architectural survey (Census of Old Buildings) online
–      Training state & local officials for public records management in the face of disaster
–      Free downloadable audiobooks available statewide through iCONN      
–      Connecticut’s award-winning public libraries
and much more…

Photographs of Connecticut’s Floods, Past and Present Thursday, April 1, 2010

Posted by capittsley in history, updates.
Tags: , ,
add a comment

Naugatuck, August 19, 1955

On August 13, 1955 Connecticut was hit by Hurricane Connie, which dropped four to six inches of rain on the state. Five days later Hurricane Diane dumped another fourteen inches and a day later the floods began. Remembered as the Flood of 1955, the damage was estimated to be almost half a billion dollars. To read more about the Flood of 1955 and see photographs of the aftermath please visit our online exhibit.

Photographs of the Flood of 1955, as well as the Floods of 1936 and 1938, are part of PG160, Floods and Hurricanes in Connecticut.  Pictures of this week’s flooding are now being sought by the Connecticut State Archives for addition to this picture group. Please contact Mark Jones, State Archivist,  at 860-757-6611 or email him at mjones@cslib.org.